Who doesn’t love dinner done quick? With busy schedules and tired end-of- the-day bodies..this dish will go together quick and easy and be oh-so-pleasy for the family! And it can be done in one skillet.
- Grilled Chicken Strips – Trader Joe’s or Costco is a great source
- Verde sauce – either a salsa or enchilada sauce will do
- Chicken Stock – this recipe doesn’t call for much, so I prefer Better than Bouillion
- Can of diced green chiles
- Tortillas – Regular work just fine, I prefer for my WOE (way of eating) to select a low carb version. I find this among the regular tortillas at chain stores such as Safeway
- Sour Cream – I prefer full fat
- Cheese – so many options – use a Mexi Cheese, Queso or Monterey Jack
- Optionals: Cilantro, can of green chiles, tomatoes, avocado
Gather Your Ingredients
Let’s Get Started
Warm your skillet to medium-high heat. Add chicken stock and green chiles. Add the verde (or enchilada sauce). Stir and bring to a simmer. Add sour cream and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, while your sauce is simmering, cut your tortillas. I use a pizza cutter. Cut into strips vertically then turn and cut horizontally until you have bite size squares.
When sauce has thickened slightly, add the chicken. Stir to coat.
Add in half the cheese and the tortillas. Stir the mixture and simmer until heated through.
Top with remaining cheese just before serving and removing from heat. Heat cheese just until it begins to melt, then remove from heat. Top with cilantro and serve!
Dinner is Served
A great side dish is Mexican Rice or my personal favorite, Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
Cheesy Verde Chicken Enchilada Skillet
A quick and easy weekday shortcut dinner for a Mexican favorite
3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Cup Salsa Verde from Trader Joe’s (or Verde Enchilada sauce)
1 Can diced green chiles
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 1/2 Cups grilled chicken, sliced into bite size
4 taco size tortillas – Try a Low Carb Brand like LaTortilla Factory
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- Heat Skillet to medium high heat.
- Add chicken stock, verde sauce, green chiles then sour cream.
Stir and bring to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut tortillas with pizza slicer while simmering.
- Add Chicken after sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in half the cheese and tortilla strips.
- Stir to heat through and cheese is melted.
- Right before serving, add remaining cheese on top and heat just until cheese is melted on top.
- Top with cilantro and additional toppings you prefer.